I've never liked the word resolution. It makes me feel like I'm not a good enough person and I have to make improvements on myself. While this may be true (I know it is) I don't enjoy the word that's plagued every January of my existence, reminding me that I'm not good enough. The past year has been exhilarating and exhausting. I'm ready to start again. This year I'm doing something a little different. I'm giving myself a word to live by. My word for this year is simple, but it resonates deeply with me.
I'm going to live with intention. I'm going month to month, week to week, day to day. I'm taking it a few steps at a time. I'm not going to overwhelm myself with the five year or ten year plan, or even the one year plan, just an idea of where I want to grow this year. So many days I feel as though life just passes me by. Day to day nothing seems to change, but when I look back over the months and years everything is different. I want to change that. Especially as I watch Everly grow and change. Her life will not just pass us by.
I'll be documenting my intentional living on my blog because it's important to me and I want to share that. There are a few things that are very personal and I haven't decided if they'll pop up here or not. Either way, this is going to be a beautiful year. I want to share my intentions for the year, and just for January. They become more real to me when I commit here. Most are pretty simple and I'm okay with that. It's the little things in life, right?
- I will read at least one book a week. I have no excuse, except I had a baby and now there never seem to be enough hours in the day. Over winter break my family has been around more, including Aaron, and I've had some extra help with Everly. I've used that time to read a few great books and my goodness, I love reading. I always have. I'm making time for it again. I'm also trying to find a local book club.
- I will post on my blog 2-3 times a week. I'm already pretty good at this but I'm falling in love with blogging again and I want to keep it alive.
- I (we) will take a family picture every month. It's pretty self explanatory, but I want more pictures of all three of us. We did pretty well taking them this year but they were sporadic.
- I will search for things that make my soul happy. I'm on a journey to finding myself. I don't think I'll ever reach the destination because I'll never be ready to settle. Each destination will breed a new journey. I'm a soulful and complex person, and I'm enjoying every second of this life. I'm awakening new talents and passions and learning to share more of myself with the people I love. There's nothing I would rather do than make the world around me a better and more beautiful place.
- I will fall in love with myself. That's all I want to say on the matter because I'm writing a beautiful and in depth post about self love that will come in a few days. I hope you love to read it as much as I've loved writing it.
- I will paint my nails once a week. And take off old/chipped polish. Don't laugh. I'm the worst at both of these. And I feel prettier with painted nails. That's all.
- I will go to the gym with Aaron 3 times a week. We're giving ourselves a month of gym time for a new years present to's see if we like this new place that opened up. And we're going to go. This is another thing that's soft of fallen to the side since E was born but I always feel better about myself when I work out. And I want to feel good about myself.
- I will have three new birth clients. I am intoxicated by my work as a doula and I'm going to push myself harder and farther to do more good. It is amazing to be a part of the birth world and watch strong, powerful women give birth to our future. Women are spectacular.
Tell me friends, what are some of your goals/resolutions/intentions for 2014? Leave me links to your posts in the comments. I'd love to visit and read them!