I have a darling friend Abby that I think of as my beauty guru. If I have questions about a product chances are she's tried it. She's here today to share her favorite beauty tips & tricks with you. And because she is awesome she's also giving away 5 of her favorite beauty products to my lovely readers. Enjoy!
I'm Abby and I write the blog Diligent Joy, which is all about me, my family (I am raising the cutest two year old that ever lived... you can go here to read my Thought on Motherhood), the things I like, the books I read, and my obsession with everything beauty related. My series, The Beauty Aisle, is where I share beauty tips, inspiration, and products that I love (new ones and long-time favorites). It's really fun to write and I know that my readers really enjoy it. Come on over to learn about makeup, hair, homemade spa treatments, and all sorts of beautyish stuff.
I recently posted about some of my favorite tips for beautifying and pampering. I thought I'd share a few of them with the readers of As It Seems (see the rest here).
1. MOISTURIZE DAILY: It is extremely important to moisturize daily. If you are having a quiet day at home or don't have time to fully get ready, you should still put moisturizer on your face (preferably one with sunscreen) every single day. It will help keep your complexion soft and glowing. It's also a great (and easy!) anti-aging tool. I have used countless moisturizers in my day. Currently, my favorite day cream is Total Effect from Oil of Olay. At bedtime, I use Burt's Bees Radiance Night Cream.
2. TRY OLIVE OIL ON YOUR HAIR: If you hair is on the dry side, try an olive oil treatment. Before shampooing, apply a generous amount of olive oil to your dry hair (all over or just the ends, depending on what you need). Leave it for 20-30 minutes and then wash it out. This is one of the easiest and cheapest ways I have found to keep my hair soft and shiny. I use it on my ends before every shampoo (because crunchy ends are just gross). For even healthier hair, shampoo less (I recently wrote a series about embracing dirty hair) and be sure to invest in sulfate-free products (I prefer Pureology Color Care shampoo and conditioner).
3. WORK FROM THE INSIDE OUT: Beautify and pamper yourself from the inside out. For strong hair and nails, take a prenatal vitamin each day. For clear skin, drink lots of water and eat a healthy diet that is rich in vitamins and antioxidants (more about that here).
4. TRY NEW THINGS: Please, please, please don't ever be afraid to try new things. Bright lipstick, a new shade of eyeshadow, or a new kind of hairstyle can be so fun and can make you feel fresh and excited about your beauty routine. If you see something in a magazine or on Pinterest, don't tell yourself that it's not for you or that you can't pull it off. Go ahead and try it because chances are, you CAN pull it off. If you are sheepish about a new product or look, try it at home a few times before taking it public. I learned to love braids, skinny jeans, and red lipstick while hanging at home by myself. By the time I took each new look out and about, I was comfortable and confident.
5. DON'T OVERSPEND: Don't buy into the notion that expensive products are superior products. Hair, makeup, and skin products don't have to cost a small fortune in order to be effective and seriously, why would you want to pay a lot for a something that will just be washed down the drain? All of my favorite products are affordable (even Pureology is because it's so concentrated that I only use a tiny bit each time I wash my hair and therefore, a bottle of it lasts much longer than a bottle of regular shampoo) and the majority of them can be found at Target or in your drugstore beauty aisle.
Here are a few of them:
1. I mentioned Burt's Bees Radiance Night Cream earlier in this post. I love this stuff. It feels so good to put it on every night after taking off my makeup and it keeps my skin moisturized all night (a lot of night creams haven't lasted the night for me). I wake up with soft and dewey skin every morning and I love it.
2. Maybelline's new lip product Baby Lips is my favorite thing right now. It's moisturizing and adds a little splash of color (it's summer so I prefer understated lips). I have nearly every color, but Pink Punch (far left in the photo) is my favorite.
3. When it comes to hair, I'm a big fan of air drying. It saves time and helps keep my hair on the healthy side. This Aussie Sprunch Spray is my current favorite air drying helper. It gives my hair a tousled/wavy look and enhances my daughter Harper's natural curls. It's lightweight and not sticky (I loathe sticky hair products) at all.
4. I don't leave the house without hand cream in my purse. Dry hands (well, dry skin in general) are so gross to me. Right now, I am loving this Intense Repair Hand Cream from Yes To Carrots (in truth, I have loved every single Yes To product that I've tried). It's really moisturizing and has a very subtle smell.
5. Maybelline Full N' Soft Mascara is one of my favorite products of all time (I've been using it since high school... it's been to two pageants with me... I have taken it on piano tours to Europe and Asia with and wouldn't have dreamed of getting married without it). I am always trying new mascara and nothing has ever measured up to Full N' Soft. It provides the perfect mix of length and volume. I love it and hope to never live without it.
I love each of these products and would like the chance to share them with one of you. Don't you think that sounds like fun? Me too.
One lucky winner will receive a gift basket with these five products in it. To enter, you must be a follower of both As It Seems and Diligent Joy.